Your feet and ass are connected. I know sounds like a wild idea😜 but, I'm guessing you already knew that. Anyhow, how to untuck your bum with just your feet:
Rock the weight out of your heels and into the ball of your foot.
Make sure your feet are parallel.
Duck feet = tucked bum.
3am rocking baby to 6pm dinner prep; stand with feet hip width distance and parallel and let the weight move from heels to balls of feet. You will feel a shift forward and your ass with move backward keeping your rib cage and pelvis in neutral, now diaphragmatically breathe yourself and your baby into a calm, relaxed state.
Diaphragmatic breathing is a baby whispering trick😜 oh and a pelvic floor must do💃
Mindfulness is all the rage recently and it couldn't come at a better time in our lives. The role of Women and Mother's is evolving rapidly within our society and has evolved rapidly in the last 50 years, so much so that the support system required for our new evolution is tremendously lacking.
We are getting sick, fat, frustrated and lord knows what else.
So, what we know today is that it isn't easy and we can't have it all, no matter how hard we try.
Something has gotta give right?
So, we feel hoards of emotions and likely anxiety is one of them, especially us new Mamas (BTW welcome to the club- we are here for you. It's a club, you have paid your dues and now we are here for you for life).
Mindfulness may be our answer until evolutionary changes/support systems catch up.
According to, Holzel, Carmody and Lazal, 8 weeks of mindfulness changes the structure of our hippocampus, posterior cingulate cortex, temporoparietal junction and cerebellum.
I have been meaning to write this article for months....I take a lot of different classes in the community and this is by far the most common mistake I see amongst fitness/yoga enthusiasts. We are overtraining our abdominals and not in a good way.
We are such good humans, we listen and take direction very well, especially in a fitness/yoga class because there is a belief that if we do what they tell us to do we will look better, reach our goals, feel better about ourselves, fit into an outfit, or whatever your reason is for being there.
The problem is; that we often don’t assess whether these movements are right for our bodies. We don’t ask does this feel good? Is it working the right muscles, do I have pain in my body when performing this exercise. The reason for this is we all share a common belief: NO PAIN, NO GAIN. Hey, trust me, I am not gonna say this is BS, because in reality when you want to achieve a goal, perform a feat, or do something different, at the very least, you gotta g...
Diastasis Recti is the separation of the rectus abdominus muscle( our 6 pack muscle). Let me first state that this muscle is in fact two distinct muscles separated by a line of connective tissue called the linea alba. So, for all intensive purposes this muscle is technically already separated. The condition Diastasis Recti occurs when the normal separation becomes larger than it should. > 2.7cm or 2 finger widths.
This separation is found in:
- Postnatal populations
- People who overtrain their abdominals
- And others
In pregnancy it is normal, due to the growing uterus. In Peds it can be seen during the early months and then is gone.
Other clinical symptoms can present like:
- Back pain
- Pelvic floor dysfunction
- Uterine/bladder/rectal prolapse
- Stress incontinence
- Shoulder/neck pain
- Tension Headaches
- Hip/pelvic stability issues
To test if you have a DR is in this link
Once you confirm your DR, I want you to retest yourself an...
The inner core muscles, are the most important muscles that must rehabilitated after baby (after baby means 6weeks or 60years)
Have a quick look at the pic...diaphragm, transverse abdominis, pelvic floor and multifidi (small muscles in the back)
To rehab these muscles we must learn how to breathe again....diaphragmatically breathe that is.
Look back to the diaphragmatic breathing blog, as rib cage and pelvic alignment are key with the breathing pattern.
2. Kegels...yes, kegels are still something we should be doing, but not how we have been taught or not taught-but just told it is some mysterious thing we MUST do! A kegel is the exhalation of diaphragmatic breathing....so, it ends up being pretty simple. Inhale with diaphragm, belly, rib cage and into lower back, exhale pull belly to spine (transverse abs engage and belly flattens), now pull belly button upward (pelvic floor lifts and works together with transverse abs).
3. Squats: Squatting for posterior chain, glute streng...
If your fitness goals require you to work harder this year than last and you are struggling to lose weight, then these goals might not be good for you.
Adrenal fatigue, anxiety, insomnia and busyness all go hand in hand. Adrenal fatigue is physical burnout at its finest. Your body is so overtaxed, its hormones have stopped working right. “You feel tired but wired. You crave sugar, similar to an addict. You grow a muffintop.” –Dr. Sara Gottfried
If this sounds like you...then take a look at the other symptoms from Gottfried’s list of Adrenal Fatigue:
* Anxiety, especially in stressful situations
* Emotional instability or excessive emotions
* Frequent screaming or yelling
* Confusion, difficulty with focus, under stress
* Poor resilience to stress – stress feels too much or unfair
n order to lose weight we were told to move more and eat less. So we all starved ourselves and slaved over our treadmills and bikes. Some of us lost weight, some of us got skinny fat and for others of us...it didn't do a damn bit of good.
Frustrated, we returned to our old eating patterns and remained dissatisfied with our bodies. Research is showing that it isn't how much, but what type of food we are eating.
Foods that promote hormonal balance allow our bodies to release excess weight and find a new set point. When we couple these hormonal happy meals with exercise, the weight begins to fall off.
Thank heavens and hear is the even better news...if we eat hormone happy meals, get cardiovascular exercise in shorter duration with higher intensity and lift weights....well, we change our lives!
1. Take a vitamin D3 supplement. Vitamin D improves your immune function and acts as a powerful antimicrobial
2. Decrease sugar intake. Sugar decreases your immune function. Research has shown that 2-5 hrs after ingesting sugar (sucrose, glucose, fructose) it depresses the number of white blood cells that can kill germs by 50%. Sugar means candy, processed food, alcohol and soda
3. Rest. This is a powerful tool to use against germs and our modern day hustle and bustle would rather you didn't slow down, but take a pill to keep moving. Just slow down, sleep more- it's cheaper then the pills.
4. Exercise. This powerful potent drug😜 increases your immune system, decreases stress and helps improve sleep. Moderate exercise that is, not hardcore drop on the floor stuff.
5. Decrease stress- stress leads to lowered immune systems, which makes your body more susceptible for germs to attack.
Active Sitting or dynamic often refers to sitting on a ball or unstable surface. I'd like to redefine this term because I like my definition better. Active Sitting or Dynamic Sitting refers to movement variation while sitting. Active Sitting to me means to sit in several different postures at your desk during your work hours.
If you have a sit/stand desk even better, now you have even more postures to choose from.
Sitting for a long time is bad; here are a few reasons why:
1. Abdominal atrophy - this means your abs weakened and get smaller in size
2. Sustained postural overload on your spine. This decreases joint lubrication and spinal joint stiffness.
3. Circulation of blood and lymph decreases particularly in the lower extremities, thus contributing to leg complaints while sitting.
Why is Active Sitting/Sitting variations better
Loading your joints several different ways, all day long will have less of a negative impact on your body as a whole. You will be loading joints differently...